It has been more than 10 years I have been using Hotmail and the one feature I have been yearning for was IMAP on Hotmail (now outlook.com). Every other web based email provider has it, Yahoo has it, Google has it but my primary mail has always been hotmail. I have lost more than 5 years of mails just because while configuring email with POP Protocol, the mail client was set to download messages from the server. There was no way of putting the mail back to the server once downloaded and there was no economically feasible way to take a backup of the mails back then. Also, there is the other problem of deleting and moving mails on your Laptop as well as doing the same on the Web Mail. With a recent announcement from Microsoft, Outlook.com has begun supporting IMAP protocol. With this, we can configure the Mac mail with IMAP and enjoy the beauty of IMAP with Hotmail.
Setting up Mac mail with Outlook.com using IMAP
This guide is specifically for Macs but the same values can be used for other Email clients as well.
1. Open Mac Mail.
2. From the File menu, choose Add Account.
Enter your full name and enter your email ID as “first part of your email ID”@example.com. If you enter @hotmail.com, the Mac mail will automatically connect to Hotmail and will get the default settings of POP Protocol which we do not want.
3. Click on continue. The next screen will ask your for incoming mail server settings. Choose the Account type as IMAP. Enter any description you want for the mail. Enter the incoming mail server as imap-mail.outlook.com. In the username field, enter your actual email address as firstname.lastname@example.org. In the password field, enter your actual password.
4. Click on continue. The next screen will ask your for Outgoing mail server settings. Enter the description whatever you please in the description field. In the Outgoing mail server field, enter smtp-mail.outlook.com. Check mark “use only this server”. Also, check mark on “use authentication”. Re enter your hotmail user ID and password.
5. Click on Continue. Mac mail will detect the settings of the mail server. At any time if you are given the option to use SSL, select it.
6. Click on Continue and check “Take Account Online”. Click Create.
7. Click preferences on the mail menu and go to Accounts. Select the Account you have just created and change the email ID to your actual email ID of hotmail.com. By now your hotmail folders should now be seen in the Mac Mail.
When your Hotmail folders are replicated to your Mac, you will have 2 sets of important folders like Trash, Sent, etc. We need the Mac mail to map the Trash to Hotmail’s “Deleted” folder. Similarly, we want Mac mail to map Sent to Sent of Hotmail. We will take the example of Trash here. There will be a list of all your Hotmail folders on the side. Select the Deleted folder and go to Mailbox. Here go to “Use this mailbox for” and select Trash. Similarly, select Junk folder from your hotmail folders and go to Mailbox>Use this mailbox for>Junk. Similarly for Sent and Drafts. In my case, the drafts folder was already mapped.
Allow the mails to download and synchronize and enjoy Hotmails IMAP.
I hope my post has been helpful in your life but the only guide which can help you in the hereafter is the Qur’an. You can download the English translation of the Qur’an here.